Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Baby Kaizen

My dad used to tell me "I'm better today than I was yesterday, but not as good as I'll be tomorrow". We're hopeful that Evalyn and Lillian have picked up Kaizen as their new philosophy as they've made steady progress over the last few days

Lillian has been able to stay on the CPAP and is doing well with her feedings and having her IV out.  The really big news here is that Heidi is going to be able to hold her!  We'll be starting Kangaroo Care where we hold her to our skin.  Heidi is going to start, but I will be able to do this as well.

Evalyn is stable on the respirator and is coming off of the sedatives they had to put her on for the oscillatory ventilator.  The nurses told me that she may be able to move to the CPAP soon.  She is pretty squirmy and always trying to work her way out of her little bed.  She also grabs anything she can get her hands on, including her intubation tube.  That's not really a problem until she starts pulling on it as if she's trying to take it out.

I gave her my finger to hold on to instead.  She has got an impressive grip.  I also got to pick her up while the nurses changed her bed.  She fit neatly across my two palms.  It was extra nice that she seemed to relax a bit while I held her.

Slow and steady progress may not make for an exciting read . . . but right now I'm liking boring.  Tomorrow should be more exciting in a good way.  I hope to have pictures of Heidi holding Lillian to share.

In case you haven't noticed, I think Heidi has settled on the shade of pink used for the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say or questions to ask? We love to hear from our friends and will try to answer questions in a timely manner.