Monday, August 6, 2012

The Power of Kindness

August 6, 2012


Last time I posted I was feeling pretty bummed.  The folks at worked proved they were awesome by unhesitatingly giving me a day off to go spend some time with my girls.  That single day went a long way to making me feel better.

A respite from work was nice as was time with the girls, but I also need to give credit to the nurses who have been invaluable in helping to assuage our stress and sadness.  The NICU could be scary, clinical and cold, but amazingly these nurses have made it a refuge for us.  When we go to the NICU we are met by kind and caring friends that take wonderful care of our daughters.  In a way they help take care of us as well.

One of the amazing staff feeding Lillian.  If you're wondering about the gloves our girls are filthy.

 As the girls progress and the prospect of taking them home seems increasingly real, we’re starting to get nervous about full time responsibility for our girls.  But we have to admit we’re also going to miss the staff.

Now about that progress . . . Evalyn is over 6 pounds and Lillian is almost there.  The feeding is coming along and they were requiring less oxygen.  As I mentioned in the last post the rate of progress had slowed and just as it got to me Heidi had her bummer moment on Sunday.  I encouraged her to take the day and spend it with the girls.  Every once in a while I get something right because that turned out to be a pivotal day.

When Heidi showed up to the NICU they had just finished removing their nasal cannula and feeding tubes.  She was able to spend the next 6 hours with the girls and an unobstructed view of their faces!  They are adorable, but don’t take my word for it I have proof.

I'd label the photos, but seriously I can't really tell which is which most of the time.









2 comments:

  1. Beautiful baby girls! You guys will do a great job when they come home....so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Jonathan Katz-esque joke in you photo title.

    The girls are beautiful--I'd never guess they were yours, Craig. Just kidding, of course. They actually look quite a lot like you. Good thing you have such feminine features. Tee hee. Ok, I'm done now. It's great they are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say or questions to ask? We love to hear from our friends and will try to answer questions in a timely manner.